Sunday, December 19, 2010

It is more blessed to give than to receive

Growing up, Christmas was more about spending time with family then getting the latest and greatest gadget. I am one of five children and being a parent myself I can only imagine the struggles my parents went through to make Christmas special every year for all of us kids. To be honest I can't really remember many of my gifts as a child.I am sure I got many gifts but other then a few things here and there I feel bad I can't remember any of them! The things I do remember are these: Having talent shows every year, singing Christmas carols with my cousins, playing capture the flag, football, standing around that big table at my grandmothers and listening to all the adults talk, wishing and hoping that one year we would be able to "sit" at the grownups table! Waiting anxiously for Christmas Eve so we could spend it at my Grandparents house. These are just a few of my favorite memories. I could spend many hours talking about my childhood and how in 27 years I have never missed a Christmas Eve at my grandparents house. That's tradition.

These are the types of memories I hope to pass on to my own boys. I want Christmas time to be about the excitment and joy of receiving gifts, but also to be a time where we show love, compassion, gratitude, and a thankful and giving heart. I love seeing my boys happy, but it is my desire for them to find happiness in giving to others. It is when we give that we find true joy.

In this day and age it's so easy to get swept up in the choas of Christmas.Spending insane amounts of money and losing sight of what this time of year is all about. We received the ULTIMATE GIFT.This precious gift was given to us,Jesus gave his son so that we might have life! So many times we forget what the real reason for the season is. I am guilty of this just as much as the next person, but I have made it a point this year to sit down with the boys at various times and talk about what Christmas means to them. Now, T is still a little young to really understand everything but Z is very much aware.

Z and I were going Christmas Shopping today for a few last minuete things we needed to get. I was talking to him about how important giving to others is and why we need to be grateful for the things we have and how it is better to give then to receive. I find myself having this conversation with Z every so often because he sometimes loses sight of how truly fortunate he is and just needs a little reminding every now and then. Anyway, we had this long discussion while sitting in the HORRIBLE Tyler holiday traffic!lol We talking about different charities and what they do to help people.So through the course of the conversation Z starts to tell me that he wants to one day go to a hospital that has kids with cancer. He says," You know, like kids who have cancer like you had. I want to give money to help them. It made me sad that they have  to go through that! I want to help!"

WOW,It about brought me to tears listening to this childs heart! He listens. I have tried to set the bar high for T and Z. I know alot of times people say they are just kids, they don't understand, but I disagree! I think children understand alot more then many give them credit for. Christmas time is such a wonderful opportunity to take the time to teach your children about giving to others. Doesn't matter what or how much, sometimes just the willingness to give makes the point. I know Z gets it. He is a kid and loses sight sometimes of how lucky he and is brother are, but that's ok, because I know, when it's all said and done he truly has the willingness to give. We have started a few of our own family traditions and I hope these traditions continue on through the years. I love my boys so much and I only hope I am planting seeds that will grow and flourish in the years to come.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and takes a few moments to "give". Even the simple act of kindness towards another could change the whole course of a persons life. A small toy for a child who otherwise would have no Christmas, a hot meal to the homeless, a smile to a stranger in the grocery store, or maybe just blessing another family in need this season. We set the example for our children. Our kids are watching and learning from us, as parents. What type of example are we setting? Are we teaching them that Christmas is only about what we did or didn't get for Christmas? Or are we leading by example that Christmas is about celebrating Jesus' birth and how we need to have a heart of a servant? Just something to think about. "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive." -Acts 20:35

No comments:

Post a Comment